See & Hear Stories Now at www.MichiganStoryteller.com
“Yvonne Healy is a triple threat: dynamite storyteller, workshop presenter, and emcee.”
- Elizabeth Ellis, NEA American Masterpiece Artist
“Yvonne Healy is an Irish pixie of a performer!” She didn’t simply kiss the Blarney Stone; she swallowed it. Weird Irish legends, outrageous family lore, thought-provoking adult fare, or participatory kids’ tales: this diversely talented storyteller-writer opens windows to life, as real and touching as it gets. Funny, too! Healy’s programs of world folktales engage children with highly interactive, highly contagious fun.
Healy offers free stories on audio and video online at MichiganStoryteller.com. The stories are from her two award-winning CDs, Stories from the Heart of the World and Blarney, and similarly honored DVD, Good Character from the StoryWatchers Club.
Comic or haunting, Yvonne’s unique tales from Irish myth, folk life and history delight all ages. Some are her parents’ bedtime tales recorded in the Irish National Folklore Archive. Others are family stories with their first-hand accounts of the birthing of a new nation and the withering of the old.
“Healy amuses her listeners in any way possible, throwing herself into these stories with gusto.”
- AudioFile Magazine
Blarney & Beyond!
Professional performer for 40 years, Yvonne Healy was born across the water. She grew up on an American Main Street with Irish language, stories and culture. Healy graduated from Swarthmore College, spent half-a-life acting in New York’s soap operas and theaters, summered in yoga ashrams, and always told stories. Currently, Healy incarnates ‘Midwest Nice’ with longtime husband, 2 teenage daughters, and 2 fluffy dogs along a Michigan lake.
Decades in professional storytelling, writing, acting, and improvisation lend a lively interactive flair to Healy’s teaching. In college courses, conference workshops, and Wolf Trap artist residencies, Yvonne encourages children, teens and adults to develop communication, writing and literacy in her dynamic programs.
“Her voice is delicious as always!”
- Laura Pershin-Raynor, Ann Arbor District Library, MI
Since 2001, Yvonne has published the monthly MI Story; and has produced the MichiganStorytelling.com website since 2003. She also has juggled the various roles of Conference Program Chair, Board of Directors, and Concert Producer for the National Storytelling Network, Northlands Storytelling Network, Detroit Story League Festival, Midwest StoryFest, and the Ann Arbor Storytellers Guild. Yvonne enjoys ballroom dancing with the same wonderful man since 1984.
“Thank you very much for that important story told in such a sensitive and gentle manner.”
- Kevin Brooks, producer, Sharing the Fire Conference, NH
• ORACLE Award for Leadership & Service, North Central region, NSN
• Gold Award, Best DVD, "Good Character," Creative Child Magazine 2006
• Gold Award, Best Storytelling, Children’s Music Organization, 2003
• Best Historical Storytelling, America’s Story Festival, TN, 2003
• Gold Award, Best Audio: Storytelling, National Parenting Publications, 2003
• Irish Fair, MN
• Michigan Arts & Humanities Touring Program (1999-present) – artist and adjudicator
• Detroit Institute of Art (1999-present), MI
• National Storytelling Fringe, PA
• Chicago Cultural Center, IL
• America’s Story Festival, TN
• National Regional Concert, NSN, IL
• International Reading Association, ON, Canada